Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Scam artists

Police in Montreal busted a major international telemarketing fraud ring yesterday. They arrested around 30 people. Click here to read the story.

I mention this because at work we've been the target of this type of scam. They billed for services never rendered. And then phoned last week to threaten me if we didn't pay. We had no intention of paying which absolutely infuriated the caller. Because of the threatening nature of the language being used, I had to report it to Sasktel and the police.

As well, we filed a complaint with the RCMP's phone fraud hotline.
Our con artists were calling from St. Laurent (Montreal) so it's conceivable our lovely thugs were rounded up in this latest bust.


I hope they throw the book at these creeps. The fact that they bilked thousands of dollars out of senior citizens is despicable. The fact that I as a young person, internet savvy, and not afraid to ask questions felt threatened and uncertain at times (these people are really good at what they do!), I can't imagine what an older person might feel. They msut have felt like they had no choice but to pay. Perhaps they felt ashamed and didn't want anyone to know.

In addition, (I didn't know this) but telemarketing fraud has been taken over by organized crime - Hells Angels and the like. Yikes! These people don't deserve to ever touch a phone again.

I do hope the Canadian government comes up with stricter prison sentences (or any jail time at all would be a start!) for these bums. Right now I'm hoping the people busted yesterday will be extradicted to the states (most of their targets were seniors in the U.S.) where they will face 5 to 10 years in prison. Lock them up and throw away the key, I say!

Meanwhile, I hope they got the guys who were threatening us...

No comments: