My true love gave to me a handful bundle of ginger cookies!
When I was in college, one of my dorm-mates got regular carepackages from her mother. One of them was a ice cream bucket full of ginger cookies. They had crackly tops rolled in sugar and were soft and chewy. Whenever a carepackage arrived everyone crammed into her little room to get a taste of those spicy little cookies.
I looked for years for a recipe like this. Once I found it in my Pillsbury goldmine, it definitely sealed the deal on the cookbook. There was no way my mom was getting it back.
As I said, I’ve been known to make a batch of these in anticipation of company the next day – only to have none to share with company. Watch out they go fast!
Ginger Snaps
Soft and chewy or for a crunchier cookie bake for a few minutes longer
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2-1/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup sugar
Beat 1 cup of sugar, margarine, molasses and egg until light and fluffy. Stir in remaining ingredients except 1/4 cup sugar. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
Shape into 1-inch balls and roll in 1/4 cup sugar. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 350 for 8 to 12 minutes. (The coolest part of these cookies is they puff up and then flatten while in the oven. It's fun to watch.) Cool for 1 minute before putting them on cooling racks.
Yield: roughly 5 dozen
Saturday, December 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment