... my true love gave to me two kinds of fudge!
CAUTION: both recipes I'm posting today contain nuts. Though they can be made without!
The first one is absolutely delicious. It was a new recipe I tried this year and comes courtesy Kraft Canada (with some modifications). It's simple and if you like creamsicles you better make a double batch!
White Chocolate Fudge
Hard to resist!
2 pkg (6 squares each) Bakers white chocolate
3/4 cup sweetened condesnsed milk (this is less than a full can)
1 cup chopped toasted almonds (or cashews)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tbsp grated orange peel
Line 8-inch square pan with foil. In microwaveable bowl microwave chocolate and milk one medium until melted. Stir until smooth. Add almonds, cranberries and orange peel. Blend well. Spread into prepared pan and refrigerate until firm. Lift fudge out of pan using foil and cut into 24 pieces.
Store tightly covered in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. Do not freeze.
Get creative: Instead of almonds, use pecans and substitute red and green candied cherries for the dried cranberries for an extra festive touch!
A note about the second recipe I'm posting. While I've made this recipe numerous times I have apparently developed some sort of disability with it comes to making it. Both this year and last year I was unable to get the squares out of the pan without the fudge and shortbread coming apart. If I let the recipe come to room temperature before cutting it was easier, but I don't know how to solve this problem.
One tip: make sure to melt the chocolate well. You don't want to be trying to spread chocolate onto the shortbread while it's cooling. It makes a crumbly mess - believe me!
Fugde-topped shortbread
Combining two favourites for double the pleasure
1 cup butter (no substitutes)
½ cup icing sugar
¼ tsp salt
1-1/4 cup flour
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ tsp almond extract
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Beat butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in flour. Spread into greased 13-in X 9-in baking pan. Bake at 350 F for 16-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
In a microwaveable bowl melt chocolate chips with milk. Stop frequently to stir (chocolate will keep its shape even when melted in the microwave). Stir until smooth. Stir in extract. Spread over shortbread. Sprinkle with almonds and press down. Refrigerate until firm and cut into squares. And of course, share with loved ones!
Sunday, December 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment