Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The non-dental dental visit

My dear son went to the dentist today for his first filling. This is part one of a two part series. He has another appointment on Friday for the final two fillings.

I had visions of this being a horrific disaster. Public humiliation is something he can be very good at. And it's been a few years since I have experienced it. Further, there are sharp, medical instruments within easy reach.

But Logan seemed pretty non-plussed by the whole affair, so I thought... hey, this might actually be ok.

So we get there and Logan sits in the big chair. Mikaela and I are but an arms-length away. The dental assistant starts explaining what they are going to do. You know the shpeil, the needle is going to feel like a mosquito bite, etc.

I brace myself. If we can get through this part, we should be ok, I tell myself.

The doctor comes in and preps.

I hold my little buddy's hand and start praying.

Nothing.

I open my eyes to see if he's ok and he's doing fine. The doctor and the assistant give him lots of encouragement and then announce they're all done. I'm like great. No problem.

But a little twinge of anxiety ripples through me when she says, "Now for the next one."

Right. He's having two fillings done. Ok. Here we go again.

He grips my hand a little tighter this time and I whisper a prayer that we can get through another one. I talk to Logan a little more about how brave he is and how well he's doing.

He squirms a bit, but gets through the second needle without incident.

Ha! I thought to myself. All my days of worry and sleepless night had been for no reason at all. Everything will be fine.

Yeah. By now, you realize this is not the end of the story.

Nope. They start talking rain coats and buttons and rings and fillings. I looked at my son's face.

Uh-oh...

In the space of a few short moments I realize the appointment is over. I try desperately to calm him down, but no good. It's like he doesn't hear me. I try calling my mom on my cell phone, in hopes that she can calm him down. He's crying and begging and begging to go home.

While I'm sure I looked calm enough, I can tell you I was in full on panic. You see, I saw the look, I heard the urgency in his voice. He either had to calm down or get out of the situation. Fast! Like now! Or we were all in big trouble.

But my mom is out of the house, so no help.

We talk to the doctor and it is agreed that we would give it one more chance at his second appointment on Friday. This time with a sedative. If that doesn't work, he'll be referred to the hospital dental and they'll have to put him under to do the fillings.

Yikes.

So my hyper-sensitive child is going to have to chug down two medicines on Friday. One tastes like mint, the other... not so much.

I'm thinking this should be fun. I'm hoping the medicine is clear, because I have this vague feeling I'm going to be wearing it. I hope it doesn't stain.

I'm thinking in the end I might need the sedation.

4 comments:

Monica said...

I had overheard bits of the appt but didn't know what happened. It had sounded so good to start with, and I thought Laura would be able to get the 2 fillings done. Hopefully Friday will go better. Some kids do really well with the sedative, and maybe my familiar face will help? We'll both be praying for it to go well!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like they would have done better to not use the rubber dam. The ring that holds it can pinch, and the rubber is claustraphobic. It makes ME panic!!
Of course, drugs are always good! LOL

Anonymous said...

what would you of had to blog about if things had gone smoothly :) Yes, sedatives are wonderful things so hopefully friday will go better!!

Heather said...

Ask me about Kristie's latest dental appointment...I'm close to understanding how you were feeling. Hopefully the drugs will mellow him enough (they eventually worked on Kristie) - good suggestion by Lynn re: the rubber dam - I detest that thing!