When the book you're reading and your email devotional for the day are both sitting in front of you and they both reference the same Bible verse, I think it's time to take notice. Perhaps a little chime should play too.
James 4:14:
You do not know what will happen tomorrow. For your life is like the morning fog–it’s here a little while, then it’s gone. (New Believer’s Bible)
What is your life? You are mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. (New International Version)
What do you know about tomorrow? How can you be so sure about your life? It is nothing more than mist that appears for only a little while before it disappears. (Contemporary English Version)
Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. (New American Standard)
Perhaps I have spent too much time recently worrying about things that really aren't important. Life is the art of keeping the important things, the important things.
Do you remember 9/11? Who could forget right? It's such an extreme example, yet during that day it was impossible not to have crystal clarity on what was important. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who called members of their family. I probably wasn't the only one who put the regular stresses and worries of the day on hold.
I am guilty of allowing my day to be eaten up by worries of tomorrow - what we shall eat and what we shall wear. It's so easy to get caught up in striving after the things the world tries to tell us are important - money, clothes, cars, boats, bikes, houses, phones, computers, gadgets, etc.
It's all an illusion.
What's truly important in life can't be measure in dollar amounts. I'm slowly learning.
Saturday, August 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I remember 9/11. I remember when I first heard, and what I was doing and what I did that whole day. (Watched on TV...)
This is a good point to me as I'm looking at where I want to go with my life. Its funny, at first I couldn't get a job no matter how I tried, but when I'm able to hold down one, I get more offers of work...
So I must decide where I want to go and what I want in life in my employment because though bills are bad, I need to be doing what God gives me to enjoy and what I do enjoy since He made me that way.
I just have to say "amen" to that! Seeing Dad get sick so quickly, and all the people going through the ICU waiting room, made me realize that every day we're given life and health truly is a gift from God. When you see all the things that can go wrong, you realize the question isn't "why do bad things happen?" but rather "why don't more bad things happen?" It's all about perspective...
Post a Comment