Monday, March 12, 2007

Monday morning musings

A dear sister of mine shared with me recently her doubts and fears. She's questioning whether God really cares about her and her situation.

My heart ached as I pondered her story and I found tears welling up in my eyes. It was like she'd opened my skull and copied down the thoughts that have droned on day in and day out.

I've watched my own dreams whither and die. It seems I no longer have the strength to keep them alive some days. I'm too busy just trying to keep up with my life.

I, too, have wondered if God's promises for blessing and protection are for someone else and not me.

Why do some people achieve their dreams in a heartbeat while the rest of watch as ours sail further and further away?

Does God reward some? Punish others? Is it just random? Or are some people destined to always pay a price for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time? Or never being in the right place at the right time?

I don't know the answers. Not today. I believe that God is working upstream in my life and in my sister's life. Yet it does seem some days like it's waaay upstream.

In the meantime, it's hard not to grow bitter at the injustice of it all, you know?

And what's the cure for bitterness? Anger? Frustration? Continual disappointment?

I know what the fruit of these things are. But how do you cure it? How do you stop it?

I've spent the last several days trying to focus my attention on cultivating an attitude of gratitude. Sounds cheesy and oh so Oprah!, and so far I've only had moments of reprieve.

I admit I can't fight it alone, but instead I ask for the strength of Christ to help me.

But it's a struggle.

For some reason, I find it so encouraging that my sister has some of the same struggles. Perhaps we can both find the relief we need as we lift each other up in prayer.


Listening to: Greg Sczebel: Here to Stay
Pending assignments: 2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jen YOU said it all.
SL

Diane said...

Wow. This was my first time on your blog and I read through all of it in one bleep (blip, glance, whatever. It doesn't sound like much anyway). There is depth and bredth to your thoughts. Thank you for giving part of yourself so I can grow a little. Maybe I can also learn to be less frivolous with my thoughts that I share with others.