Computers of the world are out to get me today.
I have no idea how I may have offended the collective circuitry of the world's computers, but it's becoming more than a little irritating.
Today I spend half of my time trying to solve a problem with a wee bit of potentially malicious code called spyware.
This particular bit of code would redirect any google searches to obscure websites advertising other websites. Annoying, but probably nothing sinister. Still anytime your computer is hijacked to a different web destination than originally intended there's the potential it will be eventually be sent to some place with damaging consequences.
So as I said, I spent any spare moment I had scanning, googling, scanning, and googling.
It all had little effect as both Ad-aware and SpyBot couldn't kill it.
They could happily point fingers and identify the perpetrator, but that's about it.
It's pointing at a nuclear missile silo and saying... yup, that's a missile all right.
Sigh...
I had to leave before the problem was solved.
I came home and decided to be a good little steward of my newly acquired MacBook and check for software updates.
Unfortunately, I was met with a privileges error as I tried to install the update.
I was dumbfounded.
Keep in mind trying to do anything on my Mac takes a few minutes longer than normal cuz the thought process goes something like this...
Run repair disk permissions in the disk utilities area, in the utilities folder.
And I'm like... utilities folder is in system preferences... wait no. Um... Finder... Go... Oh there it is!
Sigh...
It's a learning process.
Happily, the downstairs PC updated it's spyware scanner and all is well.
I think...
On second thought, I'd better go check...
Friday, April 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment