So I had an allergy test today.
It wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it would. But I did learn some very surprising and not-so-surprising things.
First, it has been concluded that should Richard ever be on penicillin again, I shall continue to be vigilant and keep my distance. And I will not, under any circumstances touch the medicine bottles.
That was a given.
Nothing earth shattering there.
The test also revealed that I am allergic to tree and grass pollen.
Ok. Also no stunner there. I could have told them that.
And given that I am so allergic to penicillin it would stand to reason that I would react to molds of all types.
I also reacted to various foods like halibut, peas, cabbage, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, honey, coffee, strawberries and...
worst of all...
... chocolate.
The doctor is advising a mold-free diet for ten days. It starts on Sunday.
Sounds fairly simple, I think. I mean who eats mold on purpose?
Then I got the list of foods I have to avoid for a week and a half.
The list includes: cheese, sour cream, milk, beer, wine, processed meats (no trouble there, I usually avoid them anyway), vinegar and vinegar-containing foods, soured breads, breads made with large amounts of yeast, all dried fruits, melons (especially cantaloupe, watermelons, honeydew), soy sauce, tomatoes (other than fresh), malted breakfast cereals, canned or frozen juices.
It also means, I can not have leftovers more than 24 hours after they were cooked.
Hmm... that is quite the list.
So starting Sunday I shall be getting rid of the mold in my diet.
If I feel better then I can add back these verboten items one at a time. But if not then I get to eliminate the rest of foods that I reacted to.
Should be fun!
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
oh man I feel for you with the chocolate thing...
Good luck with your mold free diet - hope you got more self control than I do with my low sodium no caffeine diet!
Post a Comment