We are 10 and 5 heading into the homestretch of the regular season. Our offense is clicking and our defense is managing (even in the face of losing two... mark that... three players mid-game... more on that later...), our receivers are finding space and our quarterback is finding the receivers.
And to top it all off, we are thisstinkingclose to a home play off game for the first time since 1988.
Do you love it? Or do you LOVE it?!
KJ threw several passes today that were nothing less than a thing of beauty. Fantuz's catch in the end zone... mark that... his THIRD catch in the end zone was absolutely breathtaking.
Honestly, the outcome was never much in doubt in this game, but it was still so much fun to watch.
The rumour is, that Fantuz (a native of nearby Chatham, ON) spent close to $2000 on tickets so that 90-some of his close family and friends could see him play.
Now I'm thinking if that's what it takes to get this guy to play this good (THE best showing by a receiver all year in the entire league!), then perhaps we should take up collection and get this group of people to attend all the games! I'm in. A worthy cause to be sure...
Now, of course, I can't blog about the game without also mentioning the fracas that broke out after Kerry Joseph ran the ball for a first down.
Now it could be just me, but I'm thinking once the guy is down, the ball is dead, the whistle has been blown, it's probably not worth it to grab the ball out of the guy's hands. After all the play is dead. Done. Over. He's got the ball and a first down. You don't. Back up and try again.
But nooooo...
Some Hamilton player has to keep clawing, keep digging, roughing up KJ in the process. Bad form people. Just plain undisciplined play. Stupid really.
What followed was equally stupid.
I do have some commendations to award:
First, to Austin for actively participating in controlling his players. Kudos on ya! Unlike some other coaches in the league who say nothing while his players beat, punch, knee, the opposing team and pin them to the ground with their foot... right, Wally? ... oh sorry... I digress...
Second, to Austin for actively defending his players, once they got ejected.
Both are signs of a good coach. Telling his players to check their emotions and then taking to the refs right up the butt to make sure they understand... You do not mess with my guys when they're doing their job!
Third, to Jones and Abul-Mechrek for defending KJ. It is, after all, their job to protect the quarterback. Granted throwing punches (and a helmet!) IS NOT!
Fourth, to the official who had to do what looked like some version of the hokey-pokey to get in all those penalties... I think he forgot to turn himself around, though! And that's what it's all about!
It will be interesting to see what the CFL does in regards to fines and suspensions. Though to be honest, if our defense functioned this well without two seasoned key players then perhaps I shan't be worried. Still, I hope we have enough guys left on the offensive line to actually form a line once the league gets done with them!
However... at the risk of sounding like a petulant sibling... HAMILTON STARTED IT!
How in the world, they got out of that bar fight without giving up just as a many players I have no idea! While I feel for the officials in trying to sort out that stupid mess - it looked like they were taking notes at point! - it wouldn't hurt if they could actually toss out the RIGHT players for once, without the league having to step in after the fact to right their wrongs!
I figure if a team starts it, we'll finish it. But at the end of the day, the team that started it had better be on the losing end penalty-wise.
But at the end of the day we won. And these fine teams meet again next week - which I'm certain will be hotly contested battle.
Can't. Wait.
One more game.
One more win.
And one more step closer to hosting a playoff game in Saskatchewan.
GO GREEN!
UPDATE: Give DJ Flick a round of applause people! He drove up from PA to make it to the game. He's practiced one day a week before each of the last two games. Last week he had a career day and this week ended up in the end zone again. Perhaps Kent should switch up his schedule for the rest of the season! : )
Sunday, October 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jennifer, I love your Rider updates. I check your blog to find out the results of the game before I check out the Rider's website. You are so much more entertaining than their site. I love knowing what's going on in Riderville. Thanks. Keep it up.
Post a Comment