Why? you might be asking...
I've been thinking long and hard about this... why didn't Kerry Joseph just let go of the ball when Ticat #24 started clawing for it after the play was dead. Why not just give it up? The play was done, the whistle gone, etc.
I think it's for the same reason my heart started pounding the second he hit the turf...
KJ was probably thinking the same thing I was...
If Hamilton had gotten a hold of the ball... would it have been ruled a fumble? an incomplete pass? or some kooky weird clause of some bizarre CFL statute no one's ever heard of!? He probably didn't trust the officials to make the right call any more than you or I did!
I blame the CFL for this whole debacle. The reason being they haven't been consistent in years on what exactly constitutes a fumble, a catch or an incomplete pass. And if they could call those consistently maybe KJ wouldn't have had to endure a pummelling by the Ticats on the ground fearful of giving up the ball.
Yesterday, the league fined Eric Tillman and Kent Austin $2500 each for their comments this week regarding the Hamilton melee. What did they say that was so awful and offensive?
Why they asked for clarification on why exactly three of our guys got tossed from the game!
The audacity! The nerve! How dare they!
And what crime did the boys in green commit that was so heinous it meritted an ejection?
Piling on
Piling on? It's a freaking football game!
Jones and Abul-Mechrek were doing their job and protecting their quarterback. I, for one, am proud of them. (Of course, it goes without saying their conduct AFTER getting the boot was totally not acceptable!)
I am also equally proud of Tilman and Austin for standing up for our guys! If their comments were disparaging of the CFL it's only because the officiating in this beloved Canadian pasttime has become more than just a nuisance. It's become a disgrace to a game we all love.
What's disparaging isn't the conduct of two of the CFL's classiest coach/GM, it's the conduct of a league that refuses to adequately answer the valid criticisms leveled at it.
Instead, they fine and run. Don't ask these people questions, they are above answering for their mistakes apparently.
The only question remaining in my mind is... where do I donate to the Tilman-Austin CFL fine fund? Because at the rate we're going... this won't be their last...
And that my dear little green friends is truly sad.
So here is my open letter to Mr. Black, head of officiating...
Dear Mr. Black,
Read the rule book, please.
Thank you,
A Roughrider fan
No comments:
Post a Comment