Thursday, June 21, 2007

Writing, writing and then writing...

Last year I had a work slow down period that lasted from April through the beginning of August. In that time I wrote one article.

This year, I decided to bank some money and pick up a paper route to help offset the lack of income in those months. Then I added extra hours and duties at work, also to offset the dip in income that I expected.

About that work slow down? It hasn't happened. I'm still writing one to two articles a week.

This is such a blessing. I'm so grateful. Don't get me wrong.

Yet...

Well... I'd really like some sleep! Some down time even... time to just breathe, you know?

As a result blogging has been furthest from my mind at this point.

We're also starting to pack up our stuff for our big move at the end of July.

Some days I feel if I stop moving I'll just sleep for a week.

My paper route ends at the end of June, so hopefully things will start tapering off.

BUT... I have made a few decisions regarding my life.

First, my goals are:
a. To become a self-supporting freelancing writer OR have a writing-related job that allows for some fun freelancing assignments
b. To become a published author of non-fiction books
c. To become a published novelist

To accomplish the first thing, I've begun contacting businesses and organizations that I think might use freelancers for the production of newsletters, press releases, reports, website copy, etc.

Out of 15 emails, so far I've gotten six responses. This is very encouraging. (And a very good return rate, I must say!)

In the process I've had someone chat with me about a fulltime copywriting gig and I've applied for a fulltime writing job with a publication in the city.

The bottom-line is this... in the next two months my life is going to change dramatically. Not only will we be relocating within the city (and dealing with all the adjustments that come with a new neighbourhood, new school, etc), but I will most likely have a very different work world. I'm not sure what that will look like in the end, and that's a bit scary to say the least!

Listening to: silence
Pending assignments: 3, I think...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear what's happening in your lives. You all are still in my prayers. May the Lord lead you as you sreach for new opportunities. -Ron Fox