I love to cook. It is yet another way I use my creativity. And this one blesses my family directly everyday.
Perhaps that's why making a meal plan and and cooking healthy foods gives me such joy. My kids don't enjoy these foods near as much as I do... yet, anyway!
I figure if they are exposed to it when they are young, they will think it is normal. And hopefully the eating habits they observe their parents demonstrating day in and day out will have an impact.
They are getting better at trying new things.
I watched an episode of Dr. Phil a few weeks ago about obese children. It just about broke my heart to hear their stories. To start off so young and have their view of food and nutrition so horribly skewed.
And these well-meaning, but horrificly mis-informed and mis-guided parents! Giving our kids healthy food is one way we bless them, not just today but for days to come. Start them early!
Today we are having Cream of Broccoli soup with butter pan buns from Safeway. (Does Safeway not have the best buns in the city...?)
Every meal is also adorned with a big bowl of raw veggies. Many people serve salad, but none of us are salad eaters. Raw veggies my kids go nuts for.
So I make dip and buy their favourite vegetables to cut up together. I also serve low fat cheese at most meals to give Logan his calcium requirements as he does not like milk.
Cooking also helps me to release tension. Baking bread is the ultimate in stress relief.
I cook as much as I can from scratch. I figure it's healthier that way. I avoid mixes and prepared foods as much as possible.
Lest you think I am some sort of genius chef, I can assure that is not the case. My cooking skills are pretty rudimentary.
I will share a secret...
The Dinner Diva. She is an absolute gem. She sends me an email once a week with a meal plan for six dinners and a grocery list. I print it off and like today I go to the store to buy everything I need for the week.
It costs about $30 a year, but my sanity is worth it. I never have to wonder what's for supper. What a blessing that is! And that in turn blesses my family.
So I thought I would share with you one of my favourite blessings. If you think you'd like to cook more or cook healthier meals, but don't know where to start - check out The Dinner Diva.
She also has new recipe bundles for those who like to freeze meals ahead of time. Great for working moms! She has several different style of menus for those with special dietary needs like low carbs or heart-healthy, etc.
Now I'm off to finish making supper and then nose to the keyboard... er... grindstone it will be for me!
Listening to: my children make themselves ice-tea with their dad's frother.
Pending assignments: 3 (minus one tonight when I finish the latest!)
Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment