Wednesday, January 31, 2007

God bless cable repair guys

Internet is back. Yay!

I could have hugged the cable guy when he stood on my doorstep with a new modem under his arm.

"You brought a new modem!" I almost shrieked. But I managed to restrain myself. People think I'm weird enough without screaming random phrases.

I've been whining about needing a new modem for the past year to every cable repair guy and the response is always the same... "Well, it COULD be the modem, but then there's ... insert geek-speak here..."

Mainly, the tech talk related to something that would be OUR problem, such as the router. If one more tech asks me if I have a router I'll scream! I swear.

In addition they always said the same thing... "Hmm... your levels are ok, but not great. They are ok, though."

"But I don't want to be ok," I would complain in my head. "I want to be Tony the Tiger GRRREAT!"

Didn't these people realize who they were dealing with? A computer guru/tech-freak married to a writer who's research skills are limited only by her ADD-like ability to surf the internet?

Ok? Our levels are ok?

Ok is unacceptable.

But every time they came, they'd replace a new cable or switch a setting and all was well... until the next crash...

Crash meaning no access to email. No internet. Nuttin'.

And I would call Shaw support only to get asked, "Do you have a router?"

AHHHHH!

Well, God bless the cable repair guy that came today! He immediately said, it's probably the power supply.

Power supply?

Then he showed me the burned/browned label on the power supply. It wasn't the worst he'd ever seen, but almost!

"They can even blister and bubble," he says matter-of-factly. Yikes!

The new modem is tiny compared to our old clunker, but I'm very excited.

The tech then proceeded to drool over our computer.

"Ooo... dual core... ooo..." he muttered, while his partner stared at him blankly.

Apparently, not all cable repair guys are tech-freaks.

And what are our levels now you ask? They're grrrrreat! Thanks for asking!


Listening to: newsboys - Shine: The Hits
Assignments pending: FIVE! Count 'em... one, two, three, four, FIVE! help!

No comments: