I have a bad habit - I say yes too often, when I should say no.
It's partly due to the feast-famine ebb and flow that is the nature of freelance writing. One week you're running at mach-2 with your hair on fire. Then for two weeks (or heaven forbid months!) you write nothing.
So in a way, I say yes as a rule, just so I can pay the bills. I bite off more than I can chew and then I chew it.
This week I said yes to two deadlines. That was fine, I've juggled such things before.
Then I said yes to an interview/meeting with an interview subject and one of my editors.
That pushed things up a notch, but it was still do-able. I am, after all, super woman right?
Ha!
Then my ISP (internet service provider) went completely wonky yesterday. THEIR email server went down in the morning. But when I came home after work in the afternoon, I couldn't access the internet at all!
An hour later... the ISP help-desk boy has concluded in under 30 seconds that the problem lies in MY router. I disagree, but go through the motions of testing out the theory.
As an aside: behind my desk is extremely dusty! Someone should vacuum back there!
Anyway, turns out ISP help desk boy is right. Router got messed up. I'm still completely convinced it has to do with their work on THEIR server. But I'm sure the help desk boys at said ISP will remain unconvinced.
Computer problems put my work behind in a week when nothing could afford to go wrong.
As a result, I had to email one editor and ask for an extension and miss the interview/meeting. I handed in one project that I felt was crap.
I somehow managed to get the second article done today before supper.
At church I got to pray with two amazing ladies - Heather and Barb. It was such an amazing time and it made me feel as though all the crap that had happened was just a blip. It was the highlight of my day. I came out of it thankful for the faith and compassion from these two ladies. I felt uplifted in a week that had seemed to weigh me down with each passing second.
I came home to a voicemail that I had waited for all day - feedback on "crappy" article that I had submited.
Well, apparently, my boss didn't think it was crappy. In fact, he liked it so much he's wondering if I could do some more writing for him! Yay! Woohoo!
In addition, today I found out that my application for professional membership in The Word Guild was approved! Yay! You can read more about this group of Canadian Christian writers and editors here.
It's been a rough week, but today has ended well. I'm so thankful to God for all He has done.
Assignments pending: 2
Rejections (aka queries) pending: 3
Houses looked at this week: 0
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am glad that things are going well for you even though it is tough at times.
Your a sweety Jennifer, nothing like that "Jennifer" in my dream *g*!
Glad to hear that the writing wasn't crappy but I'm totally not surprised! Have a great rest of week!
Jennifer thanks for taking the time through all that wacky stuff to connect! It did bring a smile.
I have a deadline before me but for some strange reason I am procastinating. I want to be done!~
Blessings on house hunting this week.
Post a Comment