Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Another reason

Yesterday a 12-year old girl, who can not be named under the Young Offenders Act, and 23-year old Jeremy Allen Steinke were charged with the killing of her parents in a quiet suburban Medicine Hat home.

I've lived in Medicine Hat. In fact, as recently as February I walked down a path a stone throws from the very house where her parents and younger brother were found dead Sunday afternoon. That this would take place in such a quiet and friendly city (really just a big small town really) is astounding to me.

What I wish, is that it could be astounding to everyone that it should happen ANYWHERE!

But the sad commentary is becoming an all too familiar story. Isolated with feelings of anger and hurt and a bizarre fascination with the macabre she found a home online with fellow vampire freaks of all things. That's where she met her would-be accomplice.

Online.

On the internet.

Still want your kids to have a computer in their room?

How about in the den or basement office where you can't see them or what they are doing or where they are surfing or who they chatting with?

I don't know if this poor Medicine Hat couple had their computer in a central area, but I do know that I am continue to preach the one thing I know about parenting.

Keep in mind I don't know much about parenting. And I know precious little about this Medicine Hat tragedy. But I do know this...

If you want to know where you kids are going online and who they are chatting with then you need to keep the computer in a central area where you can see it! Then they can't surf to porn sites or find a predator posing as a young girl to chat with or discover a hateful circle of friends who will provide security and acceptance for their depraved fantasies without you knowing.

The internet is a wonderful tool. It can connect you with friends and loved ones the world over. But it also has a dark side. Protecting them from it is our job as parents. Be informed. Be involved. Keep the internet out of their rooms.

The consequences of allowing such things might not be so drastic, but let's make it hard for Satan to get to our kids.

I'm done preaching now...

2 comments:

Robin said...

Jennifer I agree 100%!!!!

Before I was aware of the dangerous side of the computer I never thought it would be harmful ten years ago when my son then was sixteen. Since, that time and lots of hurtful situations I have wised up. Our home computer is were everyone can see - no privacy.

I still have teenagers and I want to know what they are doing online.

Robin said...

One more thought...it is a great tool for the evil one to use to target our young.