Monday, April 24, 2006

Title

I've taken this week off. Officially. On purpose and everything.

As a freelancer taking time off is tricky. Sometimes you have time off without realizing, as your phone never rings and your email notification remains silent. No editors asking for stuff means you don't work. Which technically could be considered time off, but I don't count it unless I purposely plan to have it off.

I've worked like a dog these last three weeks.

As an aside: Where does that phrase come from anyway? I mean seriously. I've never seen a dog work all that hard. Maybe a police or rescue dog or something. But most dogs I've met yawn and stretch and bark at the mailman from the couch. How hard can they work really?

Anywho...

I've been working like a crazy person with writing deadlines (three just this morning - why do I do this to myself?), work at the centre, meetings and other commitments. During all of this my family took turns getting sick.

Sooo... given my lack of sleep, prolonged mood of tension, stress and general abuse of my brain cells I realized some time last week that it would be very likely that my yearly spring cold would pay me a visit sometime soon.

As a result I arranged to take this week "off".

And right on cue I'm sick.

I woke up this morning with a headache and burning throat. I'm trying hard not to talk and to drink as much warm (and cold) fluids as possible.

Complicating my life is my job as a contractor at the centre. This means taking time off requires me to still check messages from home and return phone calls as needed. But I arranged one day with only one appointment. Other than that, I'm coming home when I'm done to just sit and stare at the walls.

I've even given myself permission to stay in my jammies all day if I so desire.

I already turned down work from one editor and arranged an interview for a coming centre spread for next week.

I'm on holiday. All right. I might be sick, but I"m still on holiday. And the pajamas sound real good. Along with ice cream. Maybe watch some Dr. Phil. Get caught up on my reading.

RIght now I have to go pick up my husband to take him to an appointment. So much for holidays...

No comments: