Friday, April 13, 2007

Thoughts on a Friday

(I really need to come up with better titles.)

Here's something I've learned recently. If you're weighted down with something you can't move too quickly. In fact, your overall coordination will be tasked - leaving you stumbling and unable to accomplish the physical demands you may normally find simple.

This I realized this morning as I hauled around a bag of Friday papers - complete with massive top package (also known as a bundle of flyers).

If I didn't split my route in two I wouldn't be able to lift the bag over my head with all the papers! In fact, the second part of my route is the bigger part and it takes all my strength to waddle down the first few blocks with papers hanging in the front pouch and another glob of papers smacking me in the butt.

I'm pretty sure there are several early-risers on my route that are getting a good chuckle as I sway and stagger down the street under the weight.

I walk the equivalent of 14 blocks with this mega-ton clingon.

By the end I'm moving a good clip. I'm usually famished by then and also fairly chilled. I want nothing more than some warm tea, a banana, and yogurt. (Toast follows later!)

Of course, as I go through the route I deposit my papers and my bag becomes lighter. Imperceptibly at first, but then all of a sudden I walk with a steadier gait and my speed increases.

I realized today as I stepped on the treadmill how much easier it was to just start walking - briskly even. No large cumbersome bag swinging back and forth to knock me off balance. Just me. Just my legs, arms and body working seamlessly together.

What is my point?

Good question.

I wonder if this isn't true spiritually, too. You know, how often do I struggle - weighted down by my own worries - and I can't move gracefully through life. Instead I stumble and fall, totter and lurch.

I look anything but graceful.

Usually because I'm carrying a load I'm not meant to carry. No one has to go through their day carrying a heavy bag of Friday edition papers. (Although for an experiment, it might be fun to watch.)

So as I think of my week - how I've stumbled and staggered - I realize I've taken several concerns and issues from God's bag and put them in mine.

And their heavy.

Real heavy.

And I don't need to carry them anymore. They aren't mine to begin with.

So I shall gently place them back in God's hands.

Reminds me of these verses:

Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and my load is light. Matthew 10:28, 29, 30.

Listening to: 80's music (Kenny Loggins' Footloose at the moment)
Pending assignments: 2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I loved what you had to say as to put your heavy load on God and not in your heart for it gets to heavy. I have had trouble with that lately I will have to do what you are doing. Handing it over to God. Maybe my load will be lighter and my days brighter.

Shelley Lock

Jackie said...

Such insightful words. Why do we do that, try and do everything on our own, carrying it all by ourself. Half the time we don't even realize we are doing it. Reminds me of a favorite song of mine...What a friend we have in Jesus...O what joy we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear, all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer. So much easier said than done!