Any of you who've spent ten minutes with me over the last month or so, know that I am fiercely passionate about politics. I think I get it from my Grandfather. For now, I will spare the world wide web my political diatribes. It's so hard; we're in the middle of an election after all!
However, after watching several Canadian musicians making noises about the election, I do want to make one comment about something that irks me every single election:
Hey! Famous celebrities! Musicians! Movie stars! Yeah, you guys! Come over here a minute. I want to say something to you. Gather in close, because I want to be sure you get this...
SHUT UP! SHUT UP ABOUT WHICH PARTY YOU LIKE OR DON'T LIKE. I DON'T GIVE A FLYING FIG WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THE ELECTION!
For pity's sake! I part with my hard-earned cash to buy your CDs and see your movies so you can afford that second Lexus or take that precious trip to rehab, but that doesn't entitle you to you open your mouth about politics, ok? I buy your CDs because I like your music or I think you are a talented musician. But that doesn't automatically mean I'm interested in having you tell me what party to vote for. I'm an intelligent person and the last time I checked I didn't need some multi-millionaire camera-hogging celebrity to help me figure out the Canadian election scene! So shut up about it.
And for American celebrities... this goes double! There is no way on God's green acre that I want to hear what you think about a democratic election in ANOTHER FREAKING country you know very little about!
Ok?
Ok.
Thank you.
(stepping down off soapbox and grabbing another cup of tea...)
Monday, January 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with you on that.
Those whose job it is to entertain us should not tell us how to vote.
Although I think it is interesting that in the US the entertainers down there tell people to exercise their right to vote...
At least they don't tell ppl how to vote.
Post a Comment