Wednesday, July 23, 2008

So much trouble

There is trouble in the world. This I know.

God said so in the Bible for one thing. And I believe Him.

And for another this week has certainly offered it's own exhibits of numerous kinds of trouble. From sickness, to mental illness, to parenting struggles, to addictions, to marriages torn apart. I heard stories of all.

It vividly reminds me how un-homey I feel here some days. Oh I love my family and my friends. I love my little house. I love my little corner of the world and my tiny little garden and flower bed out back.

But some days I look around and I think...

Nope. I'm not really from here. This isn't where I belong.

Or... I'm surrounded by crazy people!

With so many around me (near and far) struggling, I think I must live a charmed life. No, not perfect. But so incredibly blessed. What on earth did I do to deserve all this?

And then I wonder... how can I help? Where is my role in all this? Do I even have one?

I've certainly had my own share of challenges in almost every category. And as I found myself listening, I felt a little like I'd come full-circle. No I didn't have a pithy quote or a neat nugget of advice. I just listened. I encouraged when I could. I nodded when I could.

Basically I was just there.

I'm sure I was really much use. But it's nice to "just be there" for others... stepping into the gap like so many others have on my account.

Sometimes, I think it's time like these when you hit your knees, broken-hearted by the traumas of your brothers and sisters in Christ, that the body of Christ functions the way it should.

May God bless his children - especially those who are hurting right now.

No comments: