That's my grandma, my aunt Faye and me last Easter in Wilkie.
Grandma passed away today and I am missing her already. It was the end of a long difficult downward spiral of her health that began on Halloween when she fell and broke her hip.
My mom kept making plans for when her mom would be well enough to go home. Unforuntately, she was only home for two days before she had to return to hospital.
Soon it became obvious, her time had come.
She was an amazing lady. Talented and creative - always knitting or crocheting something for someone.
I spent many many of my Saturdays at their house while my mom worked. I would help grandma bake bread, buns, kucha (fruit topped bread-like coffeecake), donuts, and other yummy treats.
And no matter who else was there she'd always make sure to make three different kinds of butter tarts for the two in the family who didn't like raisins - mainly me and my mom!
Each year she'd plant a massive garden. She absolutely passionate about her flower garden - insisting more and more of the lawn be torn up for flower plots.
As the years passed though, she had a difficult time indulging in her favourite pursuits. So she spent her time doing puzzles and playing cards.
I am grateful to have her in my life. She was always a steady strong, though quiet, force. She had a will of steel. She often instigated the jokes and shenigans her children carried out - despite the fact that she denied this!
I am also grateful my kids got to know her on their many trips to my mom's.
As her health deteriorated these last few months I remembered the many blessings of my youth of being in her care. I'm so grateful I have such a rich heritage.
I'm sure she's dealing out the cards for crib right now in heaven and regaling Grandpa with stories... "Oh Father," she'll exclaim as she shakes her head... "you'll never guess what the kids have been up to...!"
2 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your Grandma. Sounds like you have a lot of great memories and it is so neat that your kids are old enough to have memories of great-grandma too. Hope you have a Happy New Year.
Oops. That was Melissa.
Post a Comment